All of our positions have been filled for the 2018 season, but if you think you'd be a good fit we'd still love to hear from you and have your resume on file.
Interested in working with us at Windfall?
We have a few job openings for the 2018 season and would love to hear from you! Please read the job description details below and submit your resume to Windfallfarm@gmail.com.
Please include a paragraph about who you are, what your goals are, and why you think you might be a good fit at Windfall.
Job openings for the 2018 season
Title: Field Worker
Windfall Farms is a diversified UNconventional farm, just 65 miles north of New York City, producing a wide variety of edible flowers, specialty salad greens, seasonal fruits and vegetables for our Union Square and 79th Street Greenmarkets. Windfall is a family farm started by Morse Pitts thirty-seven years ago that is now preserved for future generations of farmers. Windfall was one of the earliest farms in the Greenmarket program in NYC. Morse is actively involved in the GrowNYC Greenmarket advisory committee, FCAC, which helps create and guide greenmarket regulations.
Windfall used to certify organic, but we distanced ourselves from the term when the federal government created the national standards, subsequently relaxing the regulations. We pride ourselves on our commitment to using natural methods of growing and avoiding any poisons, whether they be pesticide, herbicide, insecticide, or synthetic fertilizers. We find ways to manage disease and pests through companion planting, using row covers, planting strategically, and removing pests by hand. Sometimes it’s more labor intensive but working with nature is our philosophy.
We are excited to say that we have recently preserved our 142 acres of farm land with the support of local conservation groups. This means that we farm with the intent of taking care of the land for future generations.
We are looking for a full-time field worker to join our crew for 2018 who can commit to the entire season, working on the farm and at our NYC market locations. We are looking for someone beginning in March and our season runs year-round.
Windfall Farms offers a unique opportunity for people who thrive working independently and as part of a larger team. The direct farmer/customer relationship at market is part of what sets us apart. The right person will gain experience on the farm and also at market. Windfall is a good stepping stone for those looking to gain experience and who want to start their own farm, many have gone on to do just that! Alternatively there are employees that have been with us for nearly 30 years. We tend to do things differently at Windfall and we’re looking for an open minded individual who is eager to learn our methods.
Skills & Requirements:
- Previous full season farm experience
- Typical Field Work: Seeding, transplanting, harvesting, weeding, and washing
- Positive attitude, trustworthy, initiative-taker, sense of humor
- Diligent and responsible for your own hours and time
- Works in all weather
- Can handle repetitive and at times tedious tasks
- Attentive to detail
- Stand setup and breakdown
- Maintaining stand presentation and stocking
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs and do physically demanding jobs
- Ability to drive van to markets is a huge plus
If you are interested in working with us at Windfall
please contact email@example.com with:
- Phone # (preferably a cell phone number)
- Please attach your resume if you have one.
- Availability (dates, days, times)
- Past job experience including any agricultural experience
- What are your goals in agriculture?
- Do you have anything we should know about that would prevent you from doing physical work?
- Please provide three professional references with a description of your relationship with the people you list.